Home Forums cafe Welcome to the RE:ONLINE Cafe

This topic contains 102 replies, has 51 voices, and was last updated by  GRowlands 6 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 103 total)
  • Author
    RChihota
    RChihota
    Participant

Hello everyone

I’ve just joine the cafe.

I think this is a brilliant idea.

jimrobinson
    jimrobinson

Welcome to the Cafe and hope you can contribute to the conversations as well as add your own experiences and ideas for teaching RE. Best wishes, Jim

George Casley
    George Casley

Is anyone new joining at the moment? It would be great if we could all recruit one new member this week!

Sarah Broderick
    Sarah Broderick
    Participant

I advertised the cafe at my local RE training session last week. I’m hoping more will join in from my area as a result.

George Casley
    George Casley

Thank you, Susan

l.holton
    Participant

Hi!
    I am new to the cafe!
    …….Hi!
    Now what?

Anyone got any advice quick tips? I’m currently teaching 14 classes of RE a week but I have actually had no training (I teach at an academy). My students seem to be dead inside (even a snake in lesson didn’t stir their souls).

I like religion and the realms of their rituals and adventures.

George Casley
    George Casley

re online has an excellent subject knowledge course run by Culham St Gabriel – http://www.cstg.org.uk/about-us/what-we-do/

Ashpreet
    Ashpreet
    Participant

Hello.
    I just joined the cafe!
    I’m planing start my PGCE this September. Any advise would be great.

jimrobinson
    jimrobinson

Hello Ashpreet and welcome to the Cafe. There are two things to think about. One is developing your subject knowledge and knowledge of the curriculum for RE and the other is to get to know the schools in the area where you would like to teach and the kind of things they are already doing in terms of RE. REOnline can help with developing subject knowledge with the TeachRE online courses if you are interested. Good luck. Jim

behut123
    Participant

Hello

I am also starting my PGCE in September this year (Secondary) and I am presently in the process of boosting my subject knowledge through the Teach RE course.
    I am only on module one, but I am finding the subject material that I am being guided to read (mostly from the website) extremely interesting and I am excited at the prospect of doing more.

From the resources that I have engaged with here so far (and that is just scratching the surface), I am actually starting to feel more at ease in areas that are outside of my degree – this is something that I thought I would struggle with, but I am enjoying the learning curve immensely.

One thing that I would like to ask – how do I navigate moving from the restrictions and bias of a Biblical Studies and Theology degree (and also a MA Theology) into becoming an unbiased teacher of RE that can engage young minds, helping them to explore their own beliefs etc., without danger of showing any bias? Maybe this will not be an issue, or maybe I am asking the wrong question, but at this stage in my journey it is something that I am thinking about.

Many thanks!

George Casley
    George Casley

When you are on your PGCE course you will discuss (at length) the idea of being unbiased. RE teachers really differ as to whether they should be. Many believe that it is their job to teach the truth and form faith – an idea others find abhorrent in their desire for academic purity. You will also consider how different RE is from other subjects. Is it any more RE’s role to help people develop their own beliefs than Chemistry etc? I would argue that young people have a right to be religiously literate so that they can engage with adults who choose to be religious. I think the idea of being unbiased is wrong. In the classroom I am happy to criticise religiously justified beliefs that do not uphold British values, which I have a professional responsibility to uphold. Religious people who discriminate against women, homosexuals or on the grounds of race are simply wrong. As are those who think the world was made in six days.

LA
    Participant

Hi Everyone, My name is Lorraine I’m currently working as a HLTA in primary. I would like to connect with others who is new to the Teach RE course.

My lesson this week is Jesus is Risen, Jesus appears to the Apostles.
    Thinking about hot seating Jesus and role play for Year 3’s to make lesson more exciting. I cant wait to hear the questions year 3 will ask Jesus and his response to them!

Any exciting ideas to make lessons more fun?

jimrobinson
    jimrobinson

Hi Lorraine, I hope others on the TREC course will respond with ideas. My own suggestion would be to use ‘Jonathan Livingstone Seagull’ by Richard Bach where the seagull Jonathan leaves his group of disciples and tells them they can make it on their own (pages 84-87). There are some great ideas there too but hot seating sounds an interesting idea. How about the diaries of the Apostles shortly after or interviews with them? Jim

George Casley
    George Casley

Hi Lorainne. My problem with hot seating etc is that it can set this up as an historical event. Most UK Christians would question a physical resurrection, as would most academic research on the texts, i.e. it is highly arguable that the writers of the gospels would have believed in such a physical event. If we are to develop religious literacy we need to ensure that from the start pupils realise that these are enormously influential and powerful stories and not, to quote a CofE bishop “a conjuring trick with bones.” once children realise that such magic is untrue it would be a shame if they then rubbished the study of religion.

Therefore, I would want to treat this much more as literature. Why do you think the writer wrote this? Why are the accounts so different? How would you tell this story in a contemporary context? What is the message here? etc etc. I might start with asking children to reflect on life changing experiences and how they expressed them. Remember Paul uses the word for appearance that is otherwise used for dream appearances and that the accounts get loger and more caporeal as they become further away from the death of Jesus in the narratives.

LA
    Participant

Hi George,

Thank you for your guidance, I can now see from a different perspective and totally agree.
    Will take on board and apply.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 103 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.