Home Forums cafe Welcome to the RE:ONLINE Cafe

This topic contains 102 replies, has 51 voices, and was last updated by  GRowlands 6 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 103 total)
  • Author

LA
    Participant

Hi Jim,

I love Jonathan Livingstone Seagull by Richard Bach, I have worked with children using this story for social and emotional issue but never dawned on me to link directly to RE lessons. I also love your ideas of diaries of the Apostles and interviews with them.
    Watch out Year 3 exciting learning and stretching your brain!

Femi Olowo
    Participant

Hi George, I agreee with most of what you have said. But I do believe there is a place for those of us who ‘still’ believe the world was made in six literal days. Not everyone is an evolutionist (and evolution is not a pure science). Some are creationists; and science or evolution do not have the right to dogmatically say those who believe in six day creation are wrong. These are worldviews, not scientific absolutes (despite Dawkins et al). I hope I have exercised my freedom of speech without causing offence.

Femi Olowo
    Participant

My background is almost identical to yours in terms of belief and degrees taken. You simply have to go to teaching RE from an objective position. Say to yourself, “I am going to get through my PGCE course and teaching my first two years without any student or co-teacher being able to guess what I really believe”. Great exercise in self-discipline and professionalism. That is what I have been doing, so it is do-able. Perhaps my only give away is that I can explain Christian stuff in class a lot better than I can the other religions.

George Casley
    George Casley

I believe that RE professionals should stand up for truth.Creationism is untrue. Just like sexism, homophobia and racism just because creationism claims religious justification does not make it acceptable.

jimrobinson
    jimrobinson

It is interesting to see where this debate about literal and figurative interpretations has led. One of the key aims of Religious Education is to clear up misunderstanding and misrepresentation and to be inclusive as well as to support the values of the whole curriculum. In other words seeing the place of RE in the context of the whole school.

Femi Olowo
    Participant

Thank you for your balanced view, Jim. I think problems are created when people are not balanced, but dogmatic where it is not applicable. For someone to say ‘Creationism is untrue’ baffles me when it is clear that there are different views. Being a Creationist is not the same as being a racist, so why would someone equate them?

jimrobinson
    jimrobinson

Glad they were useful. Jim

jimrobinson
    jimrobinson

Seeing RE within the whole school curriculum and being conscious of the ethos and values of the school you are working in are very important especially when it comes to promoting the subject to parents who are considering the long term career prospects of their children and what subjects they could study at university or in higher education. The value of RE is something to consider therefore. especially long term. From a student perspective they value the ability to think things through and express a range of opinions while seeing the viewpoints of others.

fazia.akhmed
    Participant

Jim I agree with you; we need to be able to promote RE in schools and to parents. The future of the students learning this very important subject needs to be at the forefront. Sadly some schools do not find RE should be a core subject or taught at all in their schools. RE today is being merged with PSHE. I loved RE as a student, and even now as a grown up I am enjoying everything about the RE Online course, absolutely amazing.

Faz

jimrobinson
    jimrobinson

Glad you are enjoying RE:Online Faz and hope you can contribute to the Cafe as much as possible and encourage others to do so too. The document containing proposals by Charles Clarke and Linda Woodhead which came out of the excellent Westminster Faith Debates and extensive research ‘A New Settlement: Religion and Belief in Schools’ which was launched this summer should provide some food for thought about how best to promote RE as well as satisfy Ofsted. It is worth a read. Have a look at http://www.faithdebates.org.uk for more details. Jim

Matto
    Participant

Greetings all,

It seems this thread has been inactive for a while, so I’d like to take the opportunity to say that I’m new to the RE:Online community (just registered). It looks to me as though this is a valuable place for sharing knowledge and expertise for RE – I certainly intend to contribute (hopefully meaningfully!).
    Thanks, Matt.

jimrobinson
    jimrobinson

Hi Matt. You are right about it being a valuable resource and hope you will make good use of it. Try the Banquets for ideas and soon there will be shorter snippets called Starters which will give you a couple of lessons’ worth of Powerpoint ideas too. Coming soon! Enjoy in the meantime and keep posting. Jim

Siobhanryan
    Participant

Hi, Just working my way through module 1 of the Teach RE course and although I was dreading it I have to admit it has been very interesting. I am working on Hinduism and Judaism which I am finding fascinating.

Regards
    Siobhan

jimrobinson
    jimrobinson

Good to hear Siobhan and let me know if there are any questions you might like answered and I will do my best to help. Jim

RuthRE
    Participant

Just joined and can see that I could be spending a fair amount of time reading all the variety of comments. It is certainly an exciting time to be part of the RE Community.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 103 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.