Home Forums cafe RE Apps for iPad

Tagged: 

This topic contains 13 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Kareko 2 weeks, 5 days ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

LisaVickerage
    Participant

Can anyone recommend any good apps to download on the iPad that I can use in the RE classroom?

Joanna Grace
    Joanna Grace

Great question, I hope you get some answers, I’ll have a hunt for you.

Joanna Grace
    Joanna Grace

What about apps set up for members of a particular religious faith, this site has free apps for Christians. http://christianity.about.com/u/sty/readerstoriesadvice/freeiphoneapps/ If you downloaded a number of free ones, students could compare what they were for and how they supported a person’s faith. I know there are also mediation apps for Buddhists and apps that support Muslims in remembering when it’s time to pray and in which direction to face.

EmmaMcV
    EmmaMcV

There is one currently in production which is for primary teachers subject knowledge and includes practical ideas and activities for use in the classroom:

http://www.cc-apps.co.uk/page/94/RE.htm

It is currently available in a reduced format for student teachers featuring Buddhism, Christianity and  RE Plus featuring spirituality, planning, assessment and much more. If you buy it now (available for Apple and Android) then you get all the updates free which will be: Judaism, Hindusim, Sikhism, Islam and RE Pedagogy

Dave Aldridge
    Dave Aldridge

Thanks Emma, this does look good as an aid to the practitioner in subject knowledge development.

Joanna, I think it is interesting for students to consider how religion is manifested in virtual space – including on apps.  How is this new medium enabling believers to do things better or do new things that they weren’t before?  I would be interested to hear which of these apps you have found most useful.

Joanna Grace
    Joanna Grace

Hi Dave, I am personally quite cautious about downloading apps to my iPad, I’m aware how much of my time gets sucked into it already, I can only imagine what would happen if I had apps there too. However I did meet the friend I mentioned in my previous post last week and they are still happily meditating to their meditation app. It plays ambient sounds.

David Rees
    David Rees
    Participant

I keep checking the iPad apps store for RE apps but so far there hasn’t been anything that impressed me…. When you think of the possibilities it seems a shame that this isn’t being utilised. We need to establish contact with people who design these and try to encourage this. Not only in religions themselves but in ethics. I will see if I can pursue this.

kerryblake
    Participant

Well I share the same view and had the same experience as Dave I am always making searches in the app store but not impress. Must say I do have a few ideas and i’m sure most other RE people do as well but maybe we need to put it out there to get somenthing going that floats out pupils boats…

kerry

LisaVickerage
    Participant

Thank you for all of these comments. Lets hope we can get somewhere with this together. Keep me informed if you get anywhere or find anything – Lisa

amandaB
    Participant

In relation to this, perhaps there are some good interactive books for the ipads out there? Children in my class love to read and explore to discover things for themselves. I shall investigate this but if anyone knows of any, I would appreciate knowing about them!

Thanks!

Amanda

michel9898
    Participant

You can get all these apps for free on tutuapp vip store. You can also download many paid applications for free on this app store.

maleon98
    Participant

All these apps are really cool and you can get the free versions of these apps using Vshare ipad version.

reiner
    Participant

All these apps are available for free on Tutu helper app store. You just need to download Tutu helper app on your iPhone/iPad to get this app.

Kareko
    Participant

Its so amazing and helpfull for us http://carpentry-london.co.uk

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.