Home Forums cafe What do you want from a TeachMeet conference?

This topic contains 14 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  andrewbarr 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Chris Giles
    Chris Giles
    Participant

http://m.youtube.com/#/playlist?list=PL5PV7b6GHuYPbdxqbEKP38hUmUdu5tMNZ&desktop_uri=%2Fplaylist%3Flist%3DPL5PV7b6GHuYPbdxqbEKP38hUmUdu5tMNZ

After an amazing weekend away of being inspired,  energised and challanged at the RE leaders conference this weekend, particularly by the Teachmeet session which is already viral on youtube above, as a school  we are considering hosting a TM at our school just outside Birmingham for Humanities teachers.

Some advice needed please:

What would you want out of a TM conference? A good keynote speaker?  Opportunities to network as well as hear  presentations?  Free food? Would anyone be intereted in coming?

Also a huge thank you to Culham St.Gabriels trust for this weekend. So grateful.

Mark Chater
    Mark Chater
    Participant

Hi Chris, so pleased that you found Wokefield inspiring. We were really aiming to grow a new generation of leaders in RE who would influence the subject’s improvement beyond their own schools/classrooms. I agree with you that TeachMeets are a tremendous vehicle for this. Their advantages: inexpensive, democratic, responsive to need, unthreatening, flexible as to time and place, and directly effective in impact terms, as you can come back again and again to discuss an idea that you have tried. I believe the normal convention is that there is no keynote – this is what makes a TeachMeet radically different from conventional models of CPD. Each participant speaks for a short time, a maximum of 4-6 minutes agreed by all. People can ask questions and make connections to research. they can generate collaborative projects. If you want to start one, you can use this café and twitter, plus any local connections, to get going. Good luck!

missdcox
    Participant

Hi Chris

As I mentioned we went for a #TeachmeetRE in Suffolk a few weeks ago. Happy to share a couple of thoughts.

Firstly, Mark is right in that they traditionally don’t have keynote speakers. I like to think it as CPD from the ‘bottom up’ I.e those who teach on a daily basis.

Don’t worry if there are only a few people. If everyone leaves with a few ideas it was worth while.

We gave people 3 or 7 mins. I had a timer and let it go off when time was up. Keeps things tight.

We were lucky to get sponsorship for refreshments from Copella so had lovely apple juice to refresh us.

A colleague recorded all the speakers and they’ve been put onto YouTube with their permission.

Encourage ALL to speak but they don’t have to. Most teacher just want someone to say ‘can you share something?’ And they will. I was most inspired by 3 HLTAs that came to ours. Really amazing work they’re doing.

Finally here is the TeachMeet website that may give further ideas

http://teachmeet.pbworks.com/w/page/19975363/Organise

Unfortunately Birmingham is too far to come, so all the best!

Dawn

KathrynW
    KathrynW

Having spoken to teachers at the #REleaders weekend, I think one of the keys is to ensure it is low threat! Some teachers of RE were uncertain or lacked confidence, so it is important to create an environment where everyone feels they can share something. I love Dawn’s examples here form Suffolk.

I’m exploring the idea of #SACREmeets and #advisermeets using the same kind of model!! Will keep you posted!

Kathryn

kathrynetaheri
    Participant

As someone very new to teaching RE, I would second what Kathryn says. To feel that Teachmeet was open and relevant to those who do not have a Theology/Philosophy background and/or are new to teaching would matter to me. Also important would be the need to make it equally valuable for teachers even if the schools they are in are diverse (from a large co-ed academy to a small, single sex private school for example).

MrLewisRE
    MrLewisRE
    Participant

I’ve organised a TeachMeet and arranging one in July (see http://www.TMHavering.co.uk). Also got something in the pipeline RE related.

I’m interested, what would make you feel like you could share, as opposed to not?

bjvmoore
    bjvmoore
    Participant

Very interested in your ideas to develop #SACREmeets and #advisermeets, Kathryn! Given development of hubs, what if we had occasional REmeets bringing these together so that there is coherence and collaboration?

MrLewisRE
    MrLewisRE
    Participant

It’s getting the numbers to make viable. I know some peeps have used RE network meetings for TeachMeets.

Sarah Broderick
    Sarah Broderick
    Participant

We do share resources and approaches in our RE network meetings. Also if someone wants help in any particular area the meeting organiser  requests we bring along anything we would like to recommend.

Richard Woffenden
    Participant

I have attended two TeachMeet in Lancashire and they have both been great. It was a bit of journey but it was well worth it as everything was so practical. Colleagues brought things that could be used straightaway and one Kagan-based activity I used the next day with my classes. We did have people coming to talk about projects, which were interesting, but it is the ideas about activities that I like best at the teachmeets.

Also I am really impressed with Dawn’s teachmeet site.

I am a trainee teacher at the moment, completing my PGCE. As a student, I think what I would like from a teachmeet conference is sharing lesson ideas to engage with global religion and belief today and making RE interesting for the young generation.

Ben Maddison
    Ben Maddison

CPD does not have to cost anything and Teachmeets are a superb short, medium and long-term fix as they have so much scope for shifting belief as well as connecting people.

Kathryn Wright discusses the future of RE CPD http://reonlineorg.wpengine.com/news/think-piece-a-new-way-forward-for-re-continuing-professional-development-kathryn-wright/

What balance of presentations might be desirable at a teachmeet? I like to go away having thought about what I can put in place tomorrow but also how my longer term planning can be improved.

KathrynW
    KathrynW

We have some primary network groups in Norfolk who now agree a ‘research question’ and then go away and try things out, before coming back together and sharing outcomes. This means that there is longer term impact as strategies are embedded and shared across different schools in a structured way. Our new RE East secondary hubs will follow a similar approach- in Cambridgeshire, Norfolk and Suffolk. Those on the Essex, Herts etc borders also welcome to come along.

kh32
    Participant

I think that the idea of Primary network groups are a good idea. It is a good way to discuss new ideas and thoughts and implement new things and then review and reflect. Do you know of anywhere in the West Midlands where this is being done? I do find the Teachmeet’s very useful although can often find them very focused towards Secondary education. The subject based ones are often the most useful as they can be adapted across the ages. One of the larger Teachmeet’s I have heard of include opportunities to go into small groups to focus on particular areas that interest you. This is something I would particularly like to see in the next Teachmeet I attend.

andrewbarr
    Participant

I am impressed with this, I am currently enrolled for improvisation workshop at SmartLeese Creative, their quality and great clients testimonials as well as many various events that has been listed here http://smartleesecreative.com/events/ gave me better understanding, but I wish they also tackles the same ideas you have shown here.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.