Expert RE Mentor Programme
A joint initiative between AULRE (Association of University Lecturers in Religion and Education) and Culham St Gabriel’s Trust.
This programme is now full
The introduction of the Early Career Framework (ECF) and the Core Content Framework (CCF) coupled with a focus on the importance of subject specialism in the Ofsted evidence inspection framework for schools has raised the profile and importance of mentors in supporting teachers at the start of their career. Increasingly there is a responsibility on mentors to deliver the initial teacher education (ITE) curriculum or the requirements of the ECF, and a recognition that this needs to have a strong, subject specific focus.
This pilot CPD programme – the Expert RE Mentor Programme – aims to help mentors of both ITE students and early career teachers who are RE specialists explore how to mentor in a subject-specific context. Half termly Resource Bulletins will be sent participants via email sharing resources to develop their thinking around a particular theme. There is variety in the resources used (e.g. blogs, podcasts, videos, journal articles) and later sessions will draw on a key text – Mentoring Religious Education Teachers in the Secondary School: A Practical Guide. Participants will review these resources in their own time before attending a half-termly online community of practice style session to discuss their thinking in relation to this focus and identify the implications for their own practice as an RE mentor.
The programme draws on a wide range subject experts from different ITE providers. Each community of practice session is led by someone who is highly skilled and knowledgeable in their field. The themes for each half term will include: beginning teachers’ positionality, multidisciplinary study, planning, observing, supporting beginning teachers at KS4/5 and developing professional practice.
By signing up you will receive:
- Half Termly Resource Bulletin directly to your inbox
- Half Termly online community of practice style sessions. These will usually be 4-5pm
- A free copy of Mentoring Religious Education Teachers in the Secondary School: A practical guide. This will be sent to you after you have attended the first two online sessions.
- A certificate to say you have taken part and in the programme (this assumes you have attended at least 75% of the online sessions).
By signing up we expect you to:
- Commit to a year of subject specific professional development as a mentor
- Engage with the resources identified in the Resource Bulletin
- Contribute to the community of practice sessions once a half term
Secondary Mentors are invited to sign up to join this pilot CPD programme.
As this is a pilot programme spaces are limited and available on a first come, first served basis.
The closing date for signing up for this programme is Friday 7th October 2022